Friday, September 23, 2016

U.S. Court Rules Dreadlock Ban During Hiring Process Is Legal


No Locs, No Headwraps, No peace and No damn justice.

A lawsuit was filed by the EEOC ( Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) on behalf of Chasity Jones, after having a job offer revoked due to her having Locs (dreadlocks).  The argument being that the decision was a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964's Title VII. Long story short, they lost the case. The reasoning being that although Dreadlocks are culturally associated with race, they are a characteristic that is changeable. Although, locs are actually our hair in its most natural state.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way! Let me tell you how I really feel about this. Ready? Let’s go!

When I came across this article on Instagram, I laughed so loud and rolled my eyes. Isn't a shame that when you see acts of oppression and discrimination it does not even bother you anymore? You simply say here we go again. Just another backhanded slap in the face, and another moment that makes it ever so FUCKING clear that we are disliked from head to toe. This is actually the first situation I have been made aware of where human resources flat out said I do not like your hair so NO. Shit, at least she was honest?

As I am currently on my personal loc (dreadlock) journey I am upset, YES! However I am unmoved and not bothered. I will not stop my spiritual journey with the Universe and I will not be cutting my antennas off, PERIOD. 

I say do not worry and do not let the oppressor change that you are. There are better opportunities awaiting Chasity Jones.


How do y'all feel about this?



No comments:

Post a Comment